Problem with nginx/0.8.54 and alias

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Sun Feb 20 20:00:22 MSK 2011

On 2/20/11 6:49 AM, Maxim Dounin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 08:28:27PM -0500, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
>
>> On 2/19/11 6:14 PM, Maxim Dounin wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 12:05:17PM -0500, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Just a side note: you mail client seems to unable to handle<NAME>
>>> correctly as well.
>>
>> Really? Attached are screen shots of the last email I sent which
>> included several usages of that string. I use Thunderbird/3.1.7
>> (Mac) and the mail is sent via Google Apps. Screen captures are
>> attached from both the sent folder from my client and that of the
>> Google web client. They look OK to me.
>
> Really.  Number of spaces before and after is garbled.

Please note that my earlier message regarding this rendered correctly in
the forum. Further investigation leads me to understand that it's not a
charset issue at all. Even after switching to us-ascii for sending and
display, turning off flowed format, replying multiple times using plain
text and (gasp) HTML mail, it only happened with *your* email. I even
tried using gmail's web interface and all worked well.

Back to the case at hand.

The problem is that when the "Quote" function is used, it has to parse
HTML, strip out the tags, and format the information properly.

Evidently because the less than and greater than signs are used in HTML
the charset entities for these symbols - "&lt;" for less than and "&gt;"
are used when such symbols actually appear in the text.

The quote function decodes those symbols correctly when the traditional
"forum quoting" system is used but that involves using bbcode and the
formatting will certainly suffer. That would be an unacceptable
solution. I have chosen to use a quoting system that looks more like
that of an email. Unfortunately, those characters are being stripped
when using such quoting. I have put in a support request with Phorum's
developers and  will attempt to look at the code myself.

> [...]
>
> Maxim Dounin

Jim Ohlstein