nginx ssl slow

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Jul 12 08:15:52 MSD 2011

Hello!

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 08:45:07PM -0400, davidkazuhiro wrote:

> According to this article http://matt.io/entry/uq nginx is really slow
> at SSL. Is this true and should I be using stud to handle SSL
> connections, or is nginx actually fast an it's a configuration issue or
> a fluke version of nginx?

Quick test suggests that it's probably about new ECDHE ciphers
being cool compared to DHE ones while nginx doesn't support ECDHE
out of the box (yet, there are patches floating around) even if
compiled with OpenSSL 1.0.

Using identical ciphers gives mostly identical results (no
surprise).  And obviously all these tests are far away from real
life where ECDHE isn't really used, while keepalive connections
and session cache matters.