Custom settings with PHP

locojohn nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Jul 12 17:54:13 MSD 2011

hobson42 Wrote:

> > Igor, how about using the current values of
> PHP_INI* variables inside
> > the definition e.g.:
> >

> This is impossible. Think about what nginx does -
> It matches filenames
> to a mask and passes the request using CGI to the
> port defined on a match.
>
> There is no reason why Nginx should know the CGI
> server is php (It is
> only convention that php files end in .php) and no
> reason why it should
> be php
> either - it might be Ruby, Python, Erlang, or
> anything else you might
> use.  Further there is no way it can determine
> which  php.ini file it
> would have to read even if it could know it was a
> php configuration it
> had to find.

Ian, I think you misunderstood me.  I did not mean that nginx should
figure out the current value of PHP variable, but it should allow to
pass constructs like \${varname} into the environment, so that the
upstream FCGI manager, for example PHP-FPM, would then be able to
substitute variables accordingly.  Eg:

fastcgi_pass  PHP_VALUE
"include_path=\${include_path}:/my/other/include/path";

I am not sure if PHP-FPM is able to do that at present, but, at least,
it allows such constructs in its own confirguration:

php_value[include_path] = "${include_path}:/my/other/include/path"

So I would assume the same could have been possible with PHP_VALUE
settings for FastCGI environment.

Andrejs

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,22556,212279#msg-212279