very poor performance for serving static files

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Jul 19 11:53:46 UTC 2011

Hello!

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 05:42:57AM -0400, asdasd77 wrote:

> Maxim Dounin Wrote:

[...]

> > .... and it looks you are running in virtualized environment.
> > This may be a curlpit (see e.g. [1]).  Try taking
> > virtualization out of the picture.
> >
> > [1]
> > http://blog.boxedice.com/2011/06/15/mongodb-cpu-cores-and-vmmemctl/
>
> i read that page but i didnt understand anything. we dont use database
> that server. even its not been installed.

The link provided is an example of problems caused by
virtualization.  Something similar may happen in your case as well
(at least from your top ouput it's clear that vmmemctl eats lots
of cpu).

Fighting virtualization problems may not be trivial, and at least
it's not something people here do on a daily basis.  As already
suggested, you should try running nginx on a real hardware.  This
way it would be possible to narrow down cause of problem you are
seeing: it's either nginx itself (so we'll be able to track
bottlenecks and suggests some tunings) or virtualization (so
you'll be able to ask virtualization gurus what's going on, and
probably help us to make nginx behave better in such
environments).