nginx company

Eugaia ngx.eugaia at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 13:43:30 UTC 2011

Hi Igor,

Congratulations on the new move.  I hope it works out well for you.

On 18/07/2011 17:14, Igor Sysoev wrote:
> Our primary goals are improving support and communication for our users,
> streamlining the development process, revamping the documentation,
> integrating and speeding up pending bugfixes and patches, introducing
> long-requested functionality and more.
As well as the above list, there one thing that I think would be really
useful for module developers - that is to have a more standardized
interface.  If you look through the code of modules from seasoned and
careful module developers, you often see a lot of code which does checks
for nginx_version and a version number.

This obviously happens because changes are made to the core code, and
the module developers are taking the time and effort to try to ensure
that their modules compile in a large range of versions of Nginx.
However, for developers to have to do this themselves in each of the
modules they create is a pain, and to me it makes more sense to try to
keep such changes in one place.

If you could create and maintain say an ngx_api package that included
files with macros and/or functions that would allow module developers to
keep such checks in their own modules to a minimum (or eliminate them
totally), I think it would make the life of module developers much easier.

Thanks,

Marcus.