load balancer - add nodes dynamically to upstream

Renjith T renjith.tom85 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 17:51:30 UTC 2011

For a particular use case, we are using nginx as a lb (with 'weight's
and 'fail_timeout's as mentioned in the wiki here -
http://library.linode.com/web-servers/nginx/configuration/front-end-proxy-and-software-load-balancing#sph_software-load-balancing
.
<http://library.linode.com/web-servers/nginx/configuration/front-end-proxy-and-software-load-balancing#sph_software-load-balancing>)

This works great, but we want to add nodes to the lb dynamically ( i.e.
change the 'server' entries, by adding a new entry  or delete stale
entries altogether).

On quick glance,  there is a http upstream module here, -
http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpUpstreamModule , that discusses those
options used in the lb application.

* Is there an api to add server entries / delete entries managed by the
upstream module dynamically ?

* If the answer to the previous question is no, then can we
  ** patch upstream module to provide so or
  ** start writing a separate  module similar to 'upstream' , that will
provide the api  to do so ?

Any other suggestions for dynamically managing the list of servers in
upstream. Thanks.