Any way to deal with clients breaking the limit zone

karabaja nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Jun 1 18:52:03 MSD 2011

Just in case it is relevant I'll explain the setup. It is vbulletin site
with apache serving php and nginx static content.
I have this in nginx.conf
limit_zone one $binary_remote_addr 10m;
and this in vhost config of the site in question:
limit_conn one 35;

I hope that is reasonable setting.
Haven't noticed any issues with regular traffic. But occasionally we get
some ips breaking the zone limit, I am pretty sure it is not a regular
visitor. And it was generating hundreds of lines in vhost-error_log:
limiting connections by zone "one", client: xx.xx......

So my question is if there is perhaps a way to stop that client after he
repeats the limit breaking constantly for like 5 minutes, or X times or
something like that.
Or at least to stop it generating the logs.
I ended up blocking that ip with firewall today, but I won't be there
all the time to see it and it is gonna create a lot of junk lines in the
log. It is not that big of an issue but I just thought it is worth a
shot to see if there is a way around it.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,203013,203013#msg-203013