Rewrite help when files do NOT have a ".php" extension

pk899 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri Jun 3 22:40:51 MSD 2011

pk899 Wrote:
> i managed to get it all installed, but the php-fpm
> and "location" stuff is just too difficult for
> now. will deal with that later.
>
> right now, at least to gain from nginx serving
> static files and some bits of proxy_cache, i did
> this:
>
> 1. setup nginx on port 81
> 2. left apache on 80 (as my site is live)
>
> this worked. proxying was happening etc.
>
> then, to make it live, i did this:
>
> 1. moved apache to 8081
> 2. moved nginx to 80
> 3. restarted both, first apache, then nginx
>
> but now, with nginx being my front server, i just
> get 404 file not found.
>
> any idea why? why does just port change lead to
> this?
>
> thanks

in my error log i am seeing messages like this:

2011/06/03 14:32:07 [error] 21125#0: *1768 connect() failed (111:
Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client: 216.248.232.5,
server: MYDOMAIN.com, request: "GET /itsurvey HTTP/1.1", upstream:
"http://77.12.16.8:8081/itsurvey", host: "MYDOMAIN.com"

why is "upstream" connection being "refused"? and how is "upstream"
different from "proxy"?

thanks for any ideas or advice.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,202956,203715#msg-203715