Potential Bug: Gzipping preventing HTTP range requests

Igor Sysoev igor at sysoev.ru
Fri Jun 24 23:21:05 MSD 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 01:46:46PM -0400, Ensiferous wrote:
> Hi!
>
> A question was posed in IRC yesterday about Range requests not being
> honoured when using gzipping.
> After testing it I've confirmed that there appears to be a problem.
>
> I've put a test file online you can test against:
> http://216.218.189.55/range.txt
>
> The following curl runs were used to test:
> curl -r 0-5 http://216.218.189.55/range.txt <- gives 6 bytes
> curl -r 0-5 --compressed http://216.218.189.55/range.txt <- gives full
> file
>
> I've pasted the results of debug logging here:
> http://pastie.org/pastes/2116321/text?key=shexc9k0h7nmu6p4gkhug
>
> Thanks for your attention,
> Martin Fjordvald

There is an issue with gzipping and ranges - what should be done first.
As far as I know there is no order description in RFC (correct me, if
I wrong), so we can implement only de facto state (as it's already
done with gzip content encoding).

Apache (at least 2.3.8) gzips content first and then process ranges
on gzipped body and according gzipped content length, but I do not
know how browsers handle this.

--
Igor Sysoev