502 errors, upstream sent too big header

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Jun 28 09:19:32 MSD 2011

Hello!

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:38:42PM -0400, assistlydavid wrote:

> We're having the same problem:
>
>     upstream sent too big header while reading response header from
> upstream
>
> Where:
>
>     upstream: "passenger:unix:/passenger_helper_server:"
>
> I tried every one of proxy_buffers, proxy_busy_buffers_size,
> proxy_buffer_size, fastcgi_buffers, fastcgi_busy_buffers_size,
> fastcgi_buffer_size, large_client_header_buffers.
>
> Isn't this error message coming from nginx, complaining about the size
> of the header returned from passenger?  Given that, surely there's some
> way I can tell nginx to allow a larger header size?

As it was already said in this thread, passenger module
unconditionally set buffer size and it's not configurable.  There
should be something like "passenger_buffer_size" directive, but
it doesn't exists.

> Any suggestions?

Either bug passenger module authors or use another module to talk
to backends (e.g. standard fastcgi or proxy).