IPv6 Issues / Question

holstebm nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri May 13 22:54:06 MSD 2011

Last night I had my provider (Linode) add IPv6 support for my server.  I
also had them assign me an IPv6 pool to use.

I have Nginx 1.0.2 compiled with IPv6 support, restarted my Nginx and
everything was fine all night and most of the morning.  However, within
minutes of me adding AAAA records to my domains, Nginx stopped and
running and took the IPv4 networking down with it.  I hadn't even
restarted Nginx after adding the records.

Upon reboot with Nginx disabled, everything runs fine.  I start Nginx
and make a single IPv4 page request, the network is completely gone
again  on all ports.

I don't believe in coincidences so what could adding AAAA records to
domains Nginx is listening for on port 80 trigger?  Nginx had been
running without problems for 12 hours with IPv6 enabled on the server
with an assigned global scope IPv6 address.  Within minutes of me adding
those AAAA records, the trouble began.

I don't see anything in the logs that helps.  Here is my configuration
for Nginx:

nginx: configure arguments:
--sbin-path=/usr/sbin/nginx
 --conf-path=/etc/nginx/nginx.conf
 --user=nginx
 --group=nginx
 --http-client-body-temp-path=/var/lib/nginx/tmp/client_body
 --http-proxy-temp-path=/var/lib/nginx/tmp/proxy
 --http-fastcgi-temp-path=/var/lib/nginx/tmp/fastcgi
 --error-log-path=/var/log/nginx/error.log
 --http-log-path=/var/log/nginx/access.log
 --prefix=/usr/share/nginx
 --pid-path=/var/run/nginx.pid
 --add-module=../headers-more-nginx-module
 --add-module=../ngx_http_redis-0.3.1
 --add-module=../ngx_http_upstream_keepalive
 --add-module=../memc-nginx-module
 --add-module=../ngx_cache_purge
 --add-module=/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0 at rails3/gems/passenger-3.0.2/ext/nginx
 --add-module=../ngx_http_log_request_speed
 --add-module=../mod_strip
 --with-ipv6
 --with-http_ssl_module
 --with-http_gzip_static_module
 --with-http_xslt_module
 --with-http_image_filter_module
 --with-http_geoip_module
 --with-http_sub_module
 --with-http_realip_module
 --with-http_stub_status_module
 --with-http_flv_module
 --without-mail_pop3_module
 --without-mail_imap_module
 --without-mail_smtp_module
 --without-select_module
 --without-poll_module
 --with-openssl=../openssl-1.0.0d
 --with-pcre=../pcre-8.12
 --with-zlib=../zlib-1.2.5
 --with-cpu-opt=Xeon
 --with-cc-opt='-pipe -s -O3 -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
-fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3
-mfpmath=sse -mtune=native -march=native -enable-new-dtags -DNODEBUG
-DNDEBUG -enable-stdcall-fixup -frerun-loop-opt -ftracer'

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,197875,197875#msg-197875