Keepalived Connections Reset after reloading the configuration (HUP Signal)

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon May 16 15:33:12 MSD 2011

Hello!

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 07:24:12PM -0400, Jocelyn Mocquant wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I'm dealing with a problem. When reloading the nginx configuration,
> all keepalived connections receive the  TCP reset flag after I send a
> HUP signal to the master process. If I comment the line responsible for
> enabling the keepalive feature in the configuration, the problem
> disappear (nginx version is 0.9.7).

On configuration reloading nginx starts new worker processes with
new configuration and old worker processes are terminated as soon
as they finish processing of requests.  All keepalive connections
in old workers are closed accordingly.  HTTP/1.1 clients are
required to handle keepalive connection close, so this shoudln't
be a problem.

It's not clear why you see RST instead of normal close with
FIN/FIN+ACK/ACK (are you?), but this shouldn't the problem by
itself anyway.