Getting All Documentation Under One Roof

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Sat May 28 01:38:54 MSD 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 15:38 -0400, Jack Desert wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Can I get a raise of hands who is interested in a more cohesive partnership between these two sites:
>
>   nginx.org
>   wiki.nginx.org
>
> and what thoughts you have on the best way to do it?

Igor writes the documentation on nginx.org.  wiki.nginx.org is just
that: a wiki, managed by the community.

IMO, the best thing if you are seeking some cohesion would be to make
sure that docs at nginx.org are properly linked from the wiki and that
they don't conflict (some info on wiki is outdated or incomplete).

> I'm new to Nginx and this mailing list, but I want to help out with
> documentation. I spent most of yesterday editing the english wiki at
> wiki.nginx.org. My goal was to make it as coherent as possible, and
> add the necessary "Getting Started" links to the various pages since
> it took me forever to find what I was looking for originally.

Was this due to not knowing the correct search term or something else?

>  I also fixed a couple places where if you hit the wrong link it takes
> you to a page in Russian.
>
> The next wave I'd like to pursue is to blend the English wiki and the
> english nginx.org site into a more cohesive whole. For example, there
> are only a few official documents in English--and a lot of english
> info on the wiki. Why not have them both in the same place? Or at
> least clear links from one to the other.

Because one is the official docs and the other is a community wiki.  I
don't think Igor wants random people editing his documentation, nor do I
expect him to update the wiki (that's our job, as users).  Links from
the wiki to the official docs would be good.

> My goal, of course, is for all the newbies out there who come along
> behind me to be able to find exactly they're looking for on the first
> try.

Cliff