gzip - unexplained side effects

dbanks nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Nov 9 19:09:29 UTC 2011

Hi Igor, thanks for your response!

>>If you comment gzip_buffers, you see the previous site state ?

If I comment gzip_buffers, gzip_min_length, and gzip_http_version, I see
the previous (desired) behavior.

>>What is typical uncompressed and compressed response size ?

(gzip_comp_level=9), 2.8k compressed (gzip_comp_level=1).  About half of
the responses are this size, and the other half are less than 1k
uncompressed.

We currently have more than adequate CPU and want to minimize bandwidth
costs, so I had assumed that more compression was better.  Is there
another reason that I should stay with the default gzip_comp_level=1?
(I'm happy to try it--just curious.)

Cheers,

Dean

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,218044,218117#msg-218117