what's the difference between proxy_store and proxy_cache?

Valentin V. Bartenev vbart at nginx.com
Sun Nov 13 16:50:05 UTC 2011

On Sunday 13 November 2011 19:10:29 zhenwei wrote:
> From Nginx official site there are two method to store remote upstream
> on local file system, "proxy_cache" and "proxy_store", the document
> describes clearly on how to configure, but still I have problem on the
> differences.

The "proxy_store" just stores backend's responses to a defined path. It's totally
up to you, what to do with these files after they were stored.

The "proxy_cache" alone doesn't do anything. But with other proxy_cache_*
directives, you can setup a file cache with key, life time, etc.

wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev