Nginx mass dynamic virtual hosts like apache?

Alexandr Gomoliako zzz at zzz.org.ua
Sat Nov 19 22:54:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 12:25 AM, anagio <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm new to nginx and was wondering if there is a configuration that is
> similar to apaches mass dynamic virtual hosts
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/mass.html
>
> I'm having an SaaS developed where users will get a subdomain and would
> like to set this up as efficiently as possible. As of now i'm using
> apache but would like to move to nginx and get this setup

Well, the idea is to set your root dynamically from the default
server block depending on the 'host' header.

You can either use $http_host as a part of your root, which
is probably not a good thing, or map it to some subdir, and
use its value instead:

    map $http_host $subdir {
        hostnames;
        default "default";