PH Fast-CGI security pitfall

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at yahoo.fr
Tue Nov 22 19:32:52 UTC 2011

Hello,

I juste read this
article<https://nealpoole.com/blog/2011/04/setting-up-php-fastcgi-and-nginx-dont-trust-the-tutorials-check-your-configuration/>which
highlight a common security pitfall to serve PHP files.
I don't see any similar advice in your PHP on Fast-CGI
tutorial<http://wiki.nginx.org/PHPFcgiExample>nor your
pitfalls page <http://wiki.nginx.org/Pitfalls>.

On the last page, you tell about the problem in the *Pass Non-PHP Requests
to PHP* section, you seem to point in the right direction in the *Proxy
everything* section, but not for the right reasons.
You tell people to use an 'if' to check for file existence, but the use of
'try' is much better, a you know it since you redirect to the IfIsEvil page.

The article I gave you reference to offers 5 different wys to secure the
server. The 'try_files $uri =404;' seems to be a nice way of preventing
non-PHP script from being executed, isn't it?
Thanks,
---
*B. R.*