limit issue, i think it's a bug

talisto nginx-forum at nginx.us
Sat Nov 26 12:22:51 UTC 2011

Maxim Dounin Wrote:
> How do you test it?

I've been testing it with Siege, but I can actually generate error 503
with Siege are somewhat random; sometimes the very first request fails,
then a couple will pass, then another will fail, all within a couple
seconds.  That's with my rate set to 15r/s, which should be more than
enough.. in Siege I'm only using 5 concurrent users with 1 request per
second, yet it still fails, often on the first or second hit.  In my
browser, it's a bit more reliable;  I have a simple page which makes 2
ajax requests; the 2nd ajax request will always fail.

As soon as I remove the limit_req line, I can flood my server with as
many requests as Siege can handle and it never generates a 503, so I
know that the errors aren't being caused by something else.  I'm not
sure why the limit_req isn't working properly though.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,25729,219104#msg-219104