Is it possible to use a remote file to store servernames? server_name $somevariable-file?

Ruslan Ermilov ru at nginx.com
Mon Nov 28 12:08:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 06:52:59AM -0500, anagio wrote:
> Isn't include only for nginx.conf file? How would I add this to the
> sites-available/server file to include a remote file with list of
> sub-domains?

You can rsync/scp/curl/whatever the file in your preferable
format (with server names one per line), then generate an
nginx.conf syntax-compliant file with "server_name XXX;"
lines, then send the HUP signal (for details, please see
http://nginx.org/en/docs/control.html) to the master nginx
process, and have it update the configuration on the fly.
It's all pretty easy to achieve, and doesn't require adding
the "fetching" functionality to nginx.