So is "rewrite_by_lua" also evil?

Nginx User nginx at nginxuser.net
Fri Oct 14 08:31:32 UTC 2011

On 14 October 2011 03:36, agentzh <agentzh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Nginx User <nginx at nginxuser.net> wrote:
>> Rebuilt with 0.31rc11. Also noticed note about, and implemented,
>> module loading order.
>> Everything seems straight as an arrow and no evil going ons detected so far.
>>

> Great!
>
> But please note that this is really a bug in the nginx core, so what
> I'm doing in ngx_lua's ngx.exec() (as well as ngx_echo's echo_exec) is
> just a work-around. If you use other module to issue the jump to a
> named location, bad things could still happen (or in your words, evil
> stuffs). For example, ngx_upload's upload_pass directive or the core
> module's post_action directive.
>
> I've already posted a patch for the nginx core to the nginx-devel
> mailing list, which fixes the issue completely:
>
>    http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-devel/2011-October/001327.html
>
> That patch can also be applied cleanly to nginx 1.0.8 (at least).

Strange, looking at the message from Maxim to Igor, that this hadn't
been changed before.
If you refer to the message I sent just before yours, you will find I
am still seeing this behaviour for some requests and that I rolled
everything back to my last known working config.

Perhaps the work around need to go into some other one of the modules I use.

I'll look into applying the patch to the 1.0.8 core directly and retry later.

> BTW, this patch has already been incorporated into the ngx_openresty
> 1.0.8.5 devel release: http://openresty.org/#Download

Nice.

I will be building openresty rpms for redhat presently. Wanted to try
some of the elements first.