Nginx NAS serving large files

Graham D. lists at ruby-forum.com
Sat Oct 22 18:29:05 UTC 2011

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

We have a very frustrating problem with a NAS configuration that we
recently set-up. After running a filesharing website on 8 servers for 1+
years we decided to switch to a NAS configuration. We set-up our NAS
(24x1TB Raid 5) to serve files to 9 front end servers over a private
switch - doing 9 servers on 1 disk(logical)... not sure if nginx can
handle this. Since we've moved to the NAS BW usage has dropped
significantly even though our traffic has stayed the same. Download
speeds are pretty bad aswell but this is due to IO issues that are being
created by NGINX. so here's the problem we are facing...

In theory nginx is creating an io bottleneck because it's opening to
many times without closing. We're using nginx on our front end servers
to grab files off our nas - each file will stay alive though for 45+
minutes. Instead of opening it for 10 seconds, reading into memory, and
closing - it's opening it for 10 seconds, reading into memory, streaming
it for 45 minutes, THEN closing. We ran a test with nginx and we were
only able to download at 30kbps on port 182, how-ever over apache we
were able to reach speeds of 20mb/s.

We've re-compiled nignx and installed the most recent stable version but
that didn't fix anything.

Can someone please suggest a fix here? I've ran out of ideas...

Thank you!