http_auth_request_module Instructions?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Sep 4 18:00:43 UTC 2011

Hello!

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 07:40:44PM +0300, Nginx User wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 12:02:34AM +0300, Nginx User wrote:
> >
> > > Is the any documentation for the http_auth_request_module anywhere?
> > Trying
> > > to find out what the configuration parameters are if any.
> >
> > Try README in the module tarball.  Alternatively, you may find it
> > here:
> >

> Hi Thanks for that.
>
> To clarify, My understanding of how this works is that when a request from a
> client (I'll call this "Client Request") hits Nginx, the module handler will
> spin off a request (I'll call this "Module Request") to a location where I
> would have arranged for authentication to occur. This can be auth basic etc
> or my own custom process. Assuming my own custom process, I should arrange
> for it to return status code "200" to allow access, status code "403" to
> deny access or status code "401" to ask for username and
> password (responding by 200, 403 or 401 as required). When the module
> receives a "200" code for the Module Request, it will pass the Client
> Request on through to the next normal stage of Nginx processing. If a "403"
> code is received, The user is sent the same and processing stops.
>
> Four queries:
>
> 1. Is my understanding of the process correct?

Yes.

> 2. When the README says "it is not currently possible to use
> proxy_cache/proxy_store (and fastcgi_cache/fastcgi_store) for requests
> initiated by auth request module", does this apply to the Module Request
> only as it suggests and that the Client Request will proceed as normal or is
> there a twist to it?

It applies only to auth subrequests.  Client requests will proceed
as usual.

> 3. Does the module cover "post" requests as well

Yes.  Note though, request body won't be read at auth_request (and
won't be passed to auth subrequest).

> 4. I notice "proxy_set_header X-Original-URI $request_uri;" in the README
> example. Is this a requirement?

It's just an example how to pass original request uri to your
custom auth script.

Note though, that

    proxy_pass_request_body off;
    proxy_set_header Content-Length "";

is actually required when proxy_pass'ing auth subrequests, as
request body won't read (see above).