How to tune nginx for 800-1200 concurrent connections?

Thomas Love tomlove at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:14:16 UTC 2011

On 19 September 2011 16:29, dullnicker <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I run nginx as stand-alone webserver (not as Apache proxy) on an image
> gallery website. The server has to handle up to 1,200 concurrent
> connections on Port 80, the average number throughout the day is around
> 500-600.

> The site has
> just around 3,000 unique visitors but up to 250,000 pageviews per day.

So 80+ hits per person per day and 3 per second, but 550 concurrent
connections? I haven't seen a pattern like this before and I'd be
interested to know how it works. There may be ways to optimize the
application for it. I wouldn't expect nginx to be the problem though.

If any significant portion of that concurrency is being held by PHP,
that'll be tying up a lot of resources.

Thomas