Does the long polling module work with nginx 1.0.6?

Thomas Love tomlove at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 22:10:40 UTC 2011

I put the push module into production for a while a few months ago and
suffered intermittent segfaults. It also has a couple of design
limitations that were problematic in my case. It doesn't seem to be
under active development, so I doubt these issues will be fixed any
time soon.

But I wonder whether the module isn't a poor solution architecturally,
in any case. I eventually dropped it and implemented long-polling in a
Node.js script. This turned out to be almost trivial -- far faster
than trying to fix the module. Nginx is set up as a reverse proxy to
this server, so it's insulated from any bad behaviour. I found the
stability and ease of maintenance of this design easily worth the
extra ~50 MB and CPU cycles.

Cheers
Thomas