nginx as remote proxy - limit number of concurrent connections?

John Moore john at jmsd.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 09:50:35 UTC 2012

I'm using nginx as a remote proxy server in front of a bunch of Tomcat
instances, and occasionally I'm running into a situation where all
available threads are used up in the Tomcat instances, which causes
various problems. Rather than trying to deal with these problems in that
layer, I was wondering about preventing the situation from arising by
limiting the number of concurrent connections to the upstream servers in
nginx. I'm not entirely sure how to do this, but I have no doubt it's
doable. Suggestions, please!