Syslog

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Apr 26 14:03:01 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 03:14:06PM +0200, Luke wrote:

> Hi all, I'm new here.
>
> Since I need my nginx to be integrated with syslog, I looked at the unofficial
> patches (udpremote and syslog patch).
>
> I saw I can have syslog logging with these, but I can not set a custom program
> identifier per vhost, so that I can easily distinguish in the syslog daemon and
> make it save the right log in the right file, making syslog manage
> location(remote/local) and rotation of the logs.
>

> Since the patches do not permit that, I think I'm going to write yet another
> syslog module/patch.
>
> So I have a couple of questions:
>  - why weren't the patches/modules merged into the main ngix project? Any
> criticism on those patches so that I don't make the same mistakes?

The main problem with syslog in general is that it's interface
blocks, and if syslogd daemon is dead/can't cope with load nginx
won't be able to work.  Additionally, it's slow/resource
consuming.  Writing normal files is much faster and more reliable.

Given the above, it's highly unlikely that syslog patches of any
quality will be accepted.