404 fallback only hitting 2/3 upstream sets

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Aug 8 16:51:33 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 12:35:41PM -0400, helliax wrote:

> Thanks for heads up, Maxim. In what cases would it go into an infinite
> loop if I left it outside? I had thought that "location /" would catch
> all requests, and setting
>
> proxy_intercept_errors off
>
> at the last handler would break the chain by returning whatever upstream
> setC returned?

Even with proxy_intercept_errors set to off errors might happen -
e.g. 502 will be generated if nginx won't be able to connect to
upstream for some reason.

In any case I don't think that your config creates a loop (unless
you have some error_pages defined at http level).  I've mostly
wrote about recursive_error_pages in general.