nginx simple caching solutions

Ian Evans ianevans at digitalhit.com
Sat Aug 18 05:10:01 UTC 2012

Just an update on my situation...

I installed the fastcgi caching as per the suggestions in this thread.
Using the add_header X-My-Cache $upstream_cache_status; line I'm able to
confirm by the headers if I'm getting cache hits or misses.

I've also got a small handful of directories that I don't want cached
and as per the thread, they're marked:

map $uri $no_cache_dirs {
default 0;
/dir1 1;
/dir2 1;
/dir3 1;
/dir4 1;
/dir5 1;
}

In my fastcgi.conf there are the following lines added for the caching:

fastcgi_cache MYCACHE;
fastcgi_keep_conn on;
fastcgi_cache_bypass $no_cache $no_cache_dirs;
fastcgi_no_cache $no_cache $no_cache_dirs;
fastcgi_cache_valid 200 301 5m;
fastcgi_cache_valid 302 5m;
fastcgi_cache_valid 404 1m;
fastcgi_cache_use_stale error timeout invalid_header updating http_500;
fastcgi_ignore_headers Cache-Control Expires;
expires epoch;
fastcgi_cache_lock on;

Did a test on some of the no cache dirs (including a wordpress blog) and
the pages in them were still getting cached. Any ideas why?

Thanks. Hope you all have great weekends.