connect() failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Dec 3 23:58:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 04:32:04PM -0500, Gallitin wrote:

Hi there,

> Sorry for the grammar error.

No worries. Once it is clear what works and what fails, we can see what
to do next.

> If I do curl -i http://domain.com/assets/js/msgFBmodal.js
> it returns the code from the msgFBmodal.js page.  Yet if I hit the page via
> browser I still receive the gateway error.

So, include all details each time, even if it looks repetitive.

Yes or no: "domain.com" is your nginx-hosted web site, and resolves to
your nginx server?

>From a shell on the nginx server, what does

  curl -i http://domain.com/assets/js/msgFBmodal.js

return? HTTP 200 and the content of the msgFBmodal.js file, or something else?

>From a shell on your PC, the same machine your browser runs from, what does

  curl -i http://domain.com/assets/js/msgFBmodal.js

return? HTTP 200 and the content of the msgFBmodal.js file, or something else?

>From your browser, what do you see when you try to access

  http://domain.com/assets/js/msgFBmodal.js

? The content of the msgFBmodal.js file, or something else?

> The nginx.conf file is:

<snip>

>     #                  '$status $body_bytes_sent "$http_referer" '
>     #                  '"$http_user_agent" "$http_x_forwarded_for"';
> "nginx.conf" 40L, 847C

Unfortunately, that doesn't show the configuration. It only shows the top
half of the main file; I suspect it will "include" some other files. What
matters is the configuration of the server{} block that handles domain.com.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org