Use next Balanced member if 503 error

marcosluna79 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Dec 6 17:34:18 UTC 2012

Hello I am working with nginx as balancer between two jetty servers.

The balancing is working but I am facing a problem when a 503 error is
generated by one of the servers, I added the line

proxy_next_upstream     error timeout invalid_header http_500 http_503;

It seems not to work when one of the servers fail because a resource is lost
like a DB connection. I can see the 503 error page instead of the correct
page in the other balanced member.

I have checked that the other server do have a valid DB connection but nginx
fails to forward to it.

Thanks for your help.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,233653,233653#msg-233653