Nginx server_name command being ignored

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sat Dec 15 11:46:54 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 06:32:07AM -0500, constable1 wrote:

Hi there,

> I am trying to access the web server from a bunch of windows machines (I
> don't have any linux desktops). My /etc/hosts file already reads:
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 ubuntuserver
> 192.168.1.93 test

/etc/hosts is for local-to-this-machine name resolution. It is the client
machine -- the one running the web browser -- that needs to resolve the
name "test" to the ip address.

So if you try on a windows machine, you must have the "test" entry in
the /etc/hosts file on that windows machine. Searching the fine web
should tell you exactly which file that corresponds to on the version
of windows that you are using.

> Where the final address is the local address of the server. When I do the
> curl operation from the server on http://test/ then I get the index.html
> page back, which is encouraging, but when I try to ping it from any of my
> windows machines then I get nothing.

When you type "curl -i http://test/" from a command shell on any one
windows machine, you get immediately returned to the prompt with no
other output? Likewise when you use the other curl command suggested?

That is unexpected to me and I do not know how to proceed.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org