websockets

Andrew Alexeev andrew at nginx.com
Thu Dec 20 03:34:10 UTC 2012

On Dec 20, 2012, at 0:02, Ian Hobson <ian.hobson at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On 16/12/2012 07:58, Nick Zavaritsky wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> According to the roadmap at http://trac.nginx.org/nginx/roadmap, the support for websockets is planned for release in 2 month. Is there any preview code available yet? It would be nice to start playing with this feature early on.
>>
>> Since this is going to be used in my pet project the possible instability doesn't scare me much.
>>
> Further information from my testing.  It appears that using nginx-tcp-proxy-module can only handle websockets on a different port to http traffic. :(
>
> This is no use to me. Many of our potential users are commercial and lock down outgoing ports to 80 and 443 only.
>
> Does anyone connected with the development of the new software know if it will enable nginx to separate websocket and other traffic by domain name.

Our implementation will be fully compatible with the existing proxy_pass semantics, including upstream server groups, load balancing etc.

> I expected to use a sub-domain rather than location for connections that are to be upgraded to websockets.

That should be ok.

Btw, we still have one sponsorship seat vacant. Email to nginx-inquiries at nginx dot com if this something that might be interesting for you guys.