rtsp over http response blocked by nginx

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Feb 1 01:23:09 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 04:04:24AM +0400, Maxim Dounin wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 02:24:50PM +0100, eric elg wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I am trying to use NGINX as reverse proxy for streaming using QuickTime
> > and rtsp over http.
> > QuicKTime send an http GET to my reverse proxy in a public zone, then my
> > reverse proxy send the request to my video server in a private zone.
> > What I can see is that the http GET request is received by NGINX on the
> > reverse proxy, then by my video server, which responds immediately with
> > a 200 OK.
> > This response is received by the reverse proxy, but it seems that NGINX
> > block the response. (see log file attached).
>
> The log provided suggests that backend neither close connection
> nor send anything.  I suspect it's waiting for another request
> from the client before sending additional data, but didn't get it
> due to buffering in nginx.  You may try adding
>
>     proxy_buffering off;
>
> to see if it helps.
>
> On the other hand, the following link:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/icefloe/dispatch028.html
>
> suggests that rtsp over http uses POST requests with some
> arbitrary large Content-Length.  It's likely to be next problem
> you'll encounter.  And this is not going to work through nginx.

Hm, the

https://helixcommunity.org/viewcvs/protocol/common/util/hxcloakedsocket.cpp?view=markup

claims it should switch to "multi-post mode" then, so it looks
like I was wrong and rtsp over http will actually work.

So the only real problem is response buffering in nginx, which may
be easily swithed off (see above).