"error_page"& "return" bug?

Nginx User nginx at nginxuser.net
Sun Feb 19 16:37:02 UTC 2012

On 19 February 2012 18:54, Edho Arief <edho at myconan.net> wrote:
> Nevermind, I just got this awesome idea: if ($uri !~ ^/error_page/) {
> return 503; }
>
> (seems to be working on my simple test)
>
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Edho Arief <edho at myconan.net> wrote:
>> ...so, the method above is better than using location / { } block? I'm
>> confused now.
>>

>> #############
>> server {
>>   error_page 503 /error_docs/custom503.html;
>>  location / {
>>    return 503;
>>    ...normal configs...
>>  }
>>  location /error_docs/ {
>>    internal;
>>    alias /server/path/to/error_docs/folder;
>>  }
>> }

Your method will work if you only a few location blocks active to
which you can easily add the return directive.

The one I suggested works in my case where I have several location blocks.
I have just put the relevant bits into a file and can include it when
I need to take the domain down.
It also allows for the inclusion of images, css. js and similar resources.

With these things, there is no single answer.