Empty /error log lines (a lot of them)

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Jan 3 22:00:29 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 03:32:36PM +0200, Cabbar Duzayak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using NGINX 0.8.54 on Ubuntu 11.04, and I am getting a lot of
> weird log entries in nginx access file. The structure is somewhat like
> below, but as  you can see there is no method, URL, referer, user
> agent, etc. And, I see bunch of entries for different IP addresses (3
> to 30-40 entries per IP)
>
> It might be a browser issue, but since I am seeing a lot of these, I
> just wanted to ask here if anyone has seen this before.
>
> Thanks...
>

> <USER_IP_ADDRESS> - - [07/Oct/2011:17:11:22 +0300] "-" 400 0 "-" "-"

[...]

Such lines appear when client opens a connection and doesn't send
valid request (e.g. just closes the connection).

Some modern browsers (e.g. Chrome) tend to open several extra
connections "just in case" and close them once they realize they
have no requests to send (and thus they cause such lines to
appear).

Another common reason is health checks from external balancers,
but it's probably not your case.