301 Redirects Break Long Posts?

Harish Agarwal harish at octopart.com
Sun Jan 15 02:48:36 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm running nginx 1.0.10 with a few name based virtual hosts configured.
 There are a few permanent redirects configured of the format:

    server {
        listen       80;
        server_name  domain.com;
        rewrite ^/(.*) http://www.domain.com/$1 permanent;
    }

The site sees frequent POSTs to it, which in turn seemingly randomly
disconnect from the upstream server after sending the data along (the
request completes successfully upstream and then complains of a broken pipe
as nginx has disconnected).  The disconnects seem highly coupled to 301
redirects - in the debug logs it appears that every POST is interrupted by
a permanent redirect (and that the thread serving the request stops serving
requests entirely after the redirect finishes, the last debug statement
being "http log handler").  After removing the server block the POSTs run
without any problems.  I'm wondering if this is enough information to
arouse anyone's suspicions as to what the problem is?  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

-Harish