nginx keep using more and more memory

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Jan 18 10:31:55 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 07:01:01PM +0100, nginxlist at serverphorums.com wrote:

> We are using nginx to proxy to 4 back end servers. And we
> terminate SSL at nginx. We use nginx in a somewhat special way
> in that we make 1 HTTP GET and the back-end servers give a very
> very long (essentially never-ending) response.
>
> trouble is that i notice that the nginx worker processes keep
> using up more and more memory. When the connections to nginx
> terminate, everything seems to be cleaned up and the memory
> usage of the worker processes drops to normal.

[...]

> i am running nginx/1.0.11

Please try 1.1.x.  There is one known problem in 1.0.x which
causes it to allocate about 2 pointers per buffer sent.  This is
known to be noticeable in long-running response case.

The problem was fixed in 1.1.4, but unfortunately it's impossible
to merge the fix into 1.0.x due to required API change.