what exactly does proxy_http_version mean?

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Jul 3 09:44:27 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 04:22:14AM -0400, admon.org wrote:

Hi there,

> Along with nginx-1.1.4, a new directive named 'proxy_http_version'
> introduced
> I thought it was something related to the communication between nginx
> cache and upstream web server, right?

That's what http://nginx.org/r/proxy_http_version says, yes. (Although
I probably wouldn't call it "nginx cache".)

> But per my tests with latest v-1.2.1, Nginx is still using HTTP/1.0 to
> access upstream web server.

How can I repeat your tests? Your results don't match mine.

> Thanks for any input..

cgi script "ex", available on a local http server:

==
#!/bin/sh
echo Content-Type: text/plain
echo
echo SERVER_PROTOCOL=$SERVER_PROTOCOL
==

relevant part of nginx.conf:

==
    server {
        listen       8080;
#	proxy_http_version 1.1;
	location / {
	    proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:10080/ex/;
==

$ curl http://localhost:8080/
SERVER_PROTOCOL=HTTP/1.0

Uncomment the nginx.conf line and reload

$ curl http://localhost:8080/
SERVER_PROTOCOL=HTTP/1.1

$ sbin/nginx -v
nginx version: nginx/1.2.1