SSI and expires header

Markus Jelsma markus.jelsma at openindex.io
Wed Jul 4 13:48:50 UTC 2012

Thank you both for your comments.

We attempted to set the Last-Modified header because expires and cache-control alone did not seem to work at all, the object is still transferred over the wire. We even increased the expires time from two to six hours but different browsers still download the object. These are the object's response headers:

Cache-Control:public,max-age=28800
Connection:keep-alive
Content-Encoding:gzip
Date:Wed, 04 Jul 2012 13:45:37 GMT
Expires:Wed, 04 Jul 2012 21:45:37 GMT
Transfer-Encoding:chunked

I don't see anything really missing. Any hints to share?

Thanks!