Proxy_pass and URI processing

Bai Shen baishen.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 19:53:32 UTC 2012

So I'm looking at the proxy_pass directive at
http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpProxyModule

It mentions URI processing.

For these cases of URI it is transferred without the mapping.

Furthermore, it is possible to indicate so that URI should be transferred
in the same form as sent by client, not in processed form. During
processing:

   - two or by more slashes are converted into one slash: "//" -- "/";
   - references to the current directory are removed: "/./" -- "/";
   - references to the previous catalog are removed: "/dir /../" -- "/".

However, I can't seem to find a way to turn this on or off.  The example
given is

proxy_pass <http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpProxyModule#proxy_pass>
http <http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpCoreModule#http>://localhost:8000/uri/;

But that doesn't work.  I even tried using $request_uri? and that didn't
work.

So how do I configure whether or not nginx does the processing?

Thanks.