Variable substition inconsistency

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Jul 12 21:16:24 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 05:05:24PM -0400, mondalaci wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Here's a section of my configuration:
>
> set $site mysite.com;
> root /var/www/$site;
> server_name $site;
> access_log /var/log/nginx/${site}_access.log;
> error_log /var/log/nginx/${site}_error.log;
>
> In this example root and access_log gets substituted, server_name and
> error_log doesn't.  Where can I look up that in which contexts
> substitution works?

If variables are supported, it's explicitly documented:

http://nginx.org/r/root
http://nginx.org/r/access_log

Note well: the above config snippet suggests you don't need
variables, but need some configuration macros instead.  Variables
are evaluated at run time for each request and it's bad idea to
use them just to replace several static strings.  Use your
favorite macro processor instead if you need to.