Cache by mime type

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sun Jul 22 08:09:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 02:45:44PM -0400, burn wrote:

Hi there,

> with "proxy_no_cache $no_proxy;", there are css files in cache again.

I think the issue is with using both proxy_no_cache and proxy_cache_bypass
with the same $no_proxy variable.

(I think there was a bug related to this in the past -- something about
if you didn't use them with the same variable, bad things could happen.)

proxy_cache_bypass takes effect before the upstream is
contacted, so at that point $no_proxy is set based on an empty
$upstream_http_content_type. Later on, when proxy_no_cache is considered,
$no_proxy already has a value so that is used.

The following config seems to work for me:

===
http {
    map $upstream_http_content_type $no_proxy {
        default        proxy;
        ~*^image/      0;
    }
    proxy_cache_path proxy_cache keys_zone=images:1m inactive=1m;

    server {
        location / {
            proxy_pass  http://127.0.0.1:10080/;
            proxy_no_cache $no_proxy;
            proxy_cache_bypass 0;
            proxy_cache images;
===

I can run the two commands

curl -i http://localhost:8000/a.png
curl -i http://localhost:8000/a.txt

and I see exactly one file in my proxy_cache directory. (And the error
log says what is going on.)

And then I can run the commands again, and from the Expires header,
I can see that the txt file came from upstream, and the png file came
from cache.

(I use the proxy_cache_bypass line just to hush a warning (in 1.2.1). I
have *not* tested this for the partly-remembered bug mentioned above.)

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org