nginx spdy server hint

CM Fields cmfileds at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 19:40:52 UTC 2012

This is just a quick follow up on this thread of "server hint" for
those interested.

webtide.com has implemented SPDY/3 with server push on some of their
hosts. From the following link it looks like SPDY/3 with server push
will allow a client to deny a server push using a GOAWAY call. So, if
the server is pushing a jpg and the client already has it then the
client can stop the transfer. This method may negate the need for a
server hint entirely and save a few round trip times (RTT).

This is a quote from the article:

"Now you might be wondering what happens if the browser has the
resources already cached? Aren’t we sending data over the wire which
the browser actually already has? Well, usually we don’t. First we use
the if-modified-since header to identify if we should push sub
resources or not and second the browser can refuse push streams. If
the browser gets a syn for a sub resource it already has, then it can
simply reset the push stream. Then the only thing that has been send
is the syn frame for the push stream. Not a big drawback considering
the advantages this has."

http://webtide.intalio.com/2012/06/spdy-we-push/

If webtide is correct with their implementation we should be able to
make a best guess about the client cache and server push data to them
to significantly reduce load times. If we get the guess wrong and the
client already has the data the client can stop the transfer saving
bandwidth.

BTW, just made patch.spdy-48.txt  live on our servers and everything looks fine.