Literal newlines dumped to error log when %0a in URL

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Jul 27 01:24:03 UTC 2012

I noticed that when a %0a exists in the URL, nginx includes a literal
newline in the error_log when logging a file not found:

-----
2012/07/26 17:24:14 [error] 5478#0: *8 "/var/www/localhost/htdocs/

html/index.html" is not found (2: No such file or directory), client:
1.2.3.4, server: , request: "GET /%0a%0a%0ahtml/ HTTP/1.1", host:
"test.example.com"
-----

This wreaks havoc with my log monitoring utility 8-/.

It seems desirable to escape the newline in the log message? I tested
with the latest 1.2.2. Is there any way with the existing configuration
options to make this not happen, or any interest in updating the logging
module to handle this situation differently?

Thanks...