duplicated directive on reverse proxy

oreaseca nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Jun 12 13:57:20 UTC 2012

Hi, everyone,

I'm going through some trouble with a nginx reverse proxy, and I'm kinda
newbie to this tool.

Fact is, I used to have 2 reverse proxies for addressing requests from
Internet on port 80 to their respective servers on intranet, and one of
them crashed irreversibly, so I'm setting up a new one with similar
settings to the other one.

My configuration consists on all subdomain configuration files contained
on /etc/nginx/sites-available and symbolically linked to sites-enabled,
and included on ngxin.conf. Subdomain files are like this:

error_log       /var/log/nginx/www.DOMAIN.gov.br-error.log;
server {
   listen  80;
   server_name www.DOMAIN.gov.br;
   access_log  /var/log/nginx/www.DOMAIN.gov.br-access.log;
   # Main location
   location / {
       proxy_pass         http://192.168.9.45/;
       proxy_redirect     off;
       proxy_set_header   Host             $host;
       proxy_set_header   X-Real-IP        $remote_addr;
       proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-For  $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;

My nginx.conf:

user www-data;
worker_processes  10;

error_log  /var/log/nginx/error.log;
pid        /var/run/nginx.pid;

events {
    worker_connections  20000;
	use epoll;
}

worker_rlimit_nofile 25000;

http {
    include       /etc/nginx/mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;

    access_log	/var/log/nginx/access.log;

    sendfile        on;
    tcp_nopush     on;

    #keepalive_timeout  0;
    keepalive_timeout  65;
    tcp_nodelay        on;

    gzip  on;

    include /etc/nginx/conf.d/*.conf;
    include /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/*;
}

But when I'm trying to set up such configs to the new server, when
starting up the service, it goes:

root at proxy01:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/nginx start
Starting nginx: [emerg]: "error_log" directive is duplicate in
/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/www.DOMAIN.gov.br:1
configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

It only starts when just 1 domain is configured. If another one is set,
this error comes up. The other configured domain starts with "s", so
nginx reads it and goes to the next letter, then we get this.

Appreciate any help!

Cheers,

Silvio

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,227462,227462#msg-227462