vhost error_log ignored with passenger

tantrix nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri Mar 2 20:17:31 UTC 2012

I'm using passenger and seeing that stdout & stderr are going to nginx's
default error log, rather than what's specified in the server {
error_log ... } directive. Is this a known bug in nginx or passenger?

    server {
        listen      8082;
        access_log  logs/ruby-access.log  main;
        error_log   logs/ruby-error.log;  ## nothing in here from ruby's
$std{out,err}!
        root  /Users/paulm/Code/nginx/public;
        location / {
          passenger_enabled on;

Here's all the code & config; it's a trivial Sinatra server:
https://gist.github.com/1960979

Phusion Passenger from here: http://www.modrails.com/install.html (seems
to install nginx 1.0.10)

(The workaround is to File#reopen in config.ru but I'd like to avoid
this, if possible.)

Many thanks!

Paul

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,223288,223288#msg-223288