Can anyone *really* explain opcode caching with PHP?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Mar 7 10:10:13 UTC 2012

Am Wed, 7 Mar 2012 10:46:23 +0100
schrieb "Roberto De Ioris" <roberto at unbit.it>:

> I only suggest you to choose a more advanced server, like php-fpm or
> uWSGI (even if it is very new in the php world),
> as the old-style embedded php fastcgi-server has very few features
> (read: none)

Additionally, one has to take into account that opcode-caching and the
like that zend, apc etc. do only usually gives you a couple of percents
of increased performance.

When you get "slashdotted", that is basically useless.

What you have to do is aggressive output-caching via varnish or nginx
(we haven't done this, yet, but I assume it's possible since some time,
too).

That will give you much (x-times) more performance than an opcode-cache
will ever be able to.

Rainer