upstream response is buffered to a temporary file

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Mar 14 14:56:38 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 08:52:50AM -0400, Bai Shen wrote:

> Is there a reason to have it on?

Yes, the default "proxy_buffering on" is appropriate for most
cases.  It ensures minimal processing overhead and takes slow
clients off your upstream servers (which are in many cases
process-based and can't handle many connections).

The "proxy_buffering off" is only appropriate in specific
situations like long-running connections where you send small
chunks of data periodically and need them to be immediately
delivered to client(s).

> Is there any recommended settings?

The default is good enough.  If it doesn't fit you needs, you may
consider tuning proxy_buffers and/or proxy_max_temp_file_size.

If you don't want to hit disk in any case, you may use

    proxy_max_temp_file_size 0;

which disables disk buffering completely.  Note that for obvious
reasons it will limit nginx ability to offload slow clients from
your backends.

Maxim Dounin