Using Nginx to stream h.264 video

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Sat Mar 17 20:11:54 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 20:01 +0000, Kaya Saman wrote:

> I added the above to the nginx.conf file and now nginx won't start so
> I'm guessing that it's been added to the wrong place??

Checking your logs is somewhat better than guessing ;-)  On CentOS
that's probably /var/log/nginx/error.log.

> Also I guess what I'm trying to find out more then anything else is if
> Nginx will be able to serve up information like YouTube? By embedding
> the video into an html page then streaming via web browser with
> sufficient plugin or straight to a player such as Mplayer or Xine?

I believe the mp4 module is designed for use with Flash. Someone else
who has actually used it could probably offer a more informed opinion.

> Is there any guide or howto on how to do this as the documentation seems
> a little sparse!

I suspect it's sparse because there's not much to it on the Nginx-side
of things.  If you are looking for a guide for the client-side as well,
I can only suggest Google or hope that someone here can offer more
assistance on that end.

Regards,
Cliff