Using Nginx to stream h.264 video

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 12:44:11 UTC 2012

On 03/18/2012 12:39 PM, Lukas Tribus wrote:
>> Is there any guide or howto on how to do this as the documentation seems
>> a little sparse!
> nginx and the mp4 module documentation is about the server side of things only.
>

> If you need documentation and solutions for the client side, take a look at
> JWPlayer [1], but remember its off-topic on this list. Longtailvideo has
> forums and commercial support offerings, in case you need any support on
> JWPlayer.
>

> [1] http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/

Many thanks!

I actually discovered how to 'server up' video files using nginx:

     location /video/ {
         mp4;
         mp4_buffer_size     1m;
         mp4_max_buffer_size 5m;
     root   /usr/share/nginx/html;
     }

by putting the above into conf.d/default.conf

Now it all works fine and am able to access the video via mplayer.

Quick question... is building an html page then embedding a video into
it client side? I always considered that server side while my view of
client side was always just the browser and URL........

Regards,

Kaya